Table of Contents
View or download a PDF of this infographic.
When it comes to our pets, some plants are more toxic than others. Lilies are one type of plant that is downright toxic to cats and should be kept well out of reach or out of the home altogether. Curious kitties that may try a little nibble can face serious health consequences.
Lilies are deadly to cats
If your cat eats any part of a lily plant, treat it like a medical emergency. The leaves, stem, petals, and pollen are all highly toxic to cats.
- Tiger lilies
- Asiatic lilies
- Easter lilies
- Japanese show lilies
Symptoms of lily ingestion in cats
- Loss of appetite
- Increased urination
Immediate care is crucial
Delayed treatment or not treatment can lead to kidney failure and death. See a veterinarian as soon as possible.
Pet insurance story
Read how curiosity almost killed the cat: Blue the Siberian Forest Cat munched on some lily petals and leaves, earning him an emergency trip to the vet.
The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical diagnosis, condition, or treatment options.